(Colorado Springs, Colo.) – Sixteen-year-old Jessie Radanovich (Tollhouse, Calif.) won bronze at the Grenoble Cadet European Epee Cup in France on Saturday.
Radanovich was seeded 21st after two rounds of pools and, after a first-round bye, defeated Frauke Gnaier (GER), 15-7, in the table of 64.
The 2011 Junior and Cadet World Team member won her next three bouts to advance to the quarter-finals against Laila Cravat (LUX), 15-6; Abigail Stech (GER), 15-14; and Sofia Cisneros (ESP), 15-13.
Radanovich’s teammates Amanda Sirico (Bowie, Md.) and Madeline Kehl (Valencia, Calif.) also qualified for the quarterfinals.
Sirico and Kehl both rebounded from losses in the direct elimination table to win three straight bouts in the repechage to move into the top eight.
In the quarters, Radanovich defeated Sirico, 15-7, while Kehl lost to eventual champion Nadine Stahlberg (GER), 15-8.
Radanovich had a close semifinal against Roberta Marzani (ITA), but lost the bout, 15-12, and finished with a bronze medal. Sirico finished sixth and Kehl placed seventh overall – the top finishes for both athletes on the international circuit.
Top eight and U.S. results are as follows:
Grenoble Cadet European Epee Cup
1. Nadine Stahlberg (GER)
2. Roberta Marzani (ITA)
3. Jessie Radanovich (Tollhouse, Calif.)
3. Abigail Stech (GER)
5. Arina Skolysheva (RUS)
6. Amanda Sirico (Bowie, Md.)
7. Madeline Kehl (Valencia, Calif.)
8. Daria Kharitonova (RUS)
11. Anna Tolley (San Antonio, Texas)
27. Maria Alejandra Trumble (Cambridge, Mass.)
28. Mason Speta (Chicago, Ill.)
29. Katie Angen (Santa Monica, Calif.)
34. Jennifer Horowitz (Los Angeles, Calif.)
37. Signe Ferguson (New York City, N.Y.)
46. Madeline Antekeier (Houston, Texas)
65. Rebecca Rose (Chicago, Ill.)
67. May Peterson (Santa Monica, Calif.)
71. Annie Morelli (New York City, N.Y.)
98. Azaline Dunlap-Smith (Mahias, Maine)
157. Alexandria Micek (Houston, Texas)
Tag(s): News Archive